Wednesday, April 30, 2008

俳句

I have a secret to tell you: I like haiku. Haiku is a form of Japanese poetry. It is distinguished by its minimalist structure. You can read all you want to know about it and more at Wikipedia. In English, one form of the poem has 17 syllables in three lines arranged 5-7-5. The impact of haiku is not only in what is said, but in what is left unsaid. Because there are so many gaps, the reader is able to take them and personalize them to his reality. He is left pondering in his mind all of the possibilities. It is wonderful.

I've been thinking about Sergei Adveev since I posted yesterday and I wanted to do something to honor his memory. So, I composed 5 haiku as a memorial to him. Each poem stands on its own, and tells a story. But they are also coherent as a whole, and tell a larger story. I will post them tomorrow without commentary. I wept as I wrote them. I hope they touch you, too.

No comments: