Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lewis & Clark & Scouts & Tornadoes

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you may have noticed that I haven't posted for awhile. I just got back from spending a week with Boy Scout Troop 75 at their annual summer camp at Lewis and Clark Scout Camp, near Yankton, South Dakota. The camp is located along the shores of Lewis and Clark Lake, which is really the Missouri River with a dam on it.

I took 342 pictures at camp this year. Yikes! The one at the top of the post with the sailboat is at the camp's waterfront. Here's a couple of Mark making a stool.



When we started all of our adoption paperwork, we were thinking that we would have the kids by now. I would like to see Sergei be a Boy Scout. I hope the adoptions will happen soon so that Mark will be around and also have time to help him out.

I would make a terrible reporter. Before I left I wanted to blog about the tornado down in Iowa at Little Sioux Scout Camp that killed 4 Boy Scouts and injured many others. It was just downriver from this camp between Sioux City and Omaha.

The tornadoes that were in Iowa could have easily been in South Dakota. Last year, in May, two tornadoes crossed the river from Nebraska into South Dakota only 5 miles east of our camp. We didn't have any boys there at the time, but one of our troop's adult leaders was at the camp then and saw the tornadoes first-hand. Here are some pictures of those. How would you like to be in a sailboat and see that coming at you?

No comments: