Saturday, January 10, 2009

Praise Report and a Prayer Request

I have good news, we found out that on Jan. 8 the SDA approved both of our adoptions. We didn't figure it would be a problem with them, but one never knows with the SDA. The likelihood of them disagreeing with 12 officials in region seems pretty slim; I think they just want to be sure that all procedures are followed. Those of you who have been following our blog from our first trip over there probably know what a relief it is to us.

Now, though, we have two other issues.

We will be going back to Odessa on Sat. Jan. 17 for court on Jan. 19. After court, there is a 10-day waiting period, after which we will get new birth certificates for the kids. Nancy is planning to come back to America after court, while I stay to bring the kids home. I talked to our facilitator today and she told me that the official where Sergey is registered will require both of us to be present to request his new birth certificate. By Ukrainian law, this is correct, but almost always the officials will waive that requirement if requested, but not this one. This is a problem for us because Mark is staying home and Nancy will need to get back as soon as possible.

After we get the birth certificates, which are only expected to take a couple of days, we can apply for domestic passports. We've been told they take 7-10 days, unless we pay $350 per passport for expediting, then it would be 2-4 days. We probably won't bother expediting though, because our facilitator will need that time to deal with Valya's property issue.

After we have their passports and Valya's issue has been resolved, then we're off to Kiev for the final US Embassy tasks.

Our facilitator will be meeting with this official on Monday to try to convince her to only require me to be there. Please pray that she is successful, and that the property issue and passports are resolved quickly.


MamaPoRuski said...

I had not heard of this issue before! We will keep you in prayer. We leave in ll days!
Praying for a quick processing of Vasya's property too!

Tami said...

We'll be praying for everything to be smoothed out. I, too, have never heard of this problem before. We did have to have Shad go home, write up a power of attorney statement, have it notorized and apostilled and then sent to Ukraine, all within my 10 day wait. But we got it done.
We'll be praying for this official to be moved.

Ashley said...

Catching up on your blog. I am without internet at the moment so I am WAY behind!

I already saw that God worked out the issue for Nancy to be able to come home...YAY so happy!